Monday, June 4, 2018

6 Weeks down, 6 Weeks to Go!!

Hey Friends,
 
Don’t worry, I am still alive! Haha, I know you haven’t heard from me in awhile and I am so sorry about the gap in communication. To say the beginning of term was busy would be an understatement. And now here we are and it is June 4th and we just had our Midterm break. This means we only have 6 more weeks of school and 7 more weeks till I move away from my home of the last 6.5 years!!! You can imagine the emotions that are swirling for my girls and me.

Leading worship with some of my girls one Sunday 
 
This term I started back with 20 girls in the dorm. One of my girls who had lived with a family on lower station for the last 2 terms moved back into the dorm. I have been so thankful for the growth I have seen in her life and the ways she is working to be back and apart of dorm life again. The other big thing that was happening for the first month of term was Volleyball season. I coached JV volleyball again and really enjoyed it though it always adds a big time commitment to my schedule.

Family Night... Dad and Rachel were here the 1st weekend of term after their time at Tenwek.
JV Volleyball team 
May 9th brought an extremely special visitor to Kenya. J My nephew, Tyler Jarrett, came to stay with me for a month. I can’t believe it is already time for him to go back to South Carolina on Wednesday night. It has been so wonderful to have him here. He did a physical therapy internship with a friend of mine down at Kijabe hospital and has plugged in rather seamlessly to life in a dorm full of high school girls and life at RVA. I’ll have to forward you on his perspective once he writes his update. J It has been so encouraging for me to have family here and getting to have him be apart of my life here and get to know my girls.
 
Tyler and Me 
I am feeling the crunch of precious time. I feel like there is so much to say and do with these girls. I am trying to make the most of time, be intentional, and trust the Lord for the rest. Please pray for me and for my girls. Pray for good conversations and meaningful times spent together. Pray that the girls would continue to seek the Lord; that they would make their faith their own and b
e preparing for life outside of RVA.
 
Tyler led devos one Tuesday night. Spoke about making your faith your own and how to continue in your relationship with the Lord...plugging into fellowship of the Local church, plugging into a mentor relationship, plugging into God's Word, and plugging into a local youth(christian) group while at College. It was so good! 
Ty and I got away for a weekend to enjoy a Safari!! 
I have a big answer to prayer! I can’t share details yet, but it is very possible the Lord has provided a job for me in a type of ministry starting in January 2019. This opportunity came out of no-where in April and I have been praying and pursuing it since then. I am really excited to share once I am allowed to about it and have you share in my excitement of how this job could be a perfect fit for the gifts and desires the Lord has put in my heart and it is in Indiana and close to home! I will let you know! Please keep praying for patience as I wait to hear from the people and trusting the Lord if this goes through or even if it doesn’t.
 
This term I have been doing a Bible-study with friends called “Abide” from 1,2, and 3rd John. It has been a really sweet reminder of God’s grace to us in giving us assurance of our Salvation.
 
Please continue to pray for my girls. I have several who are really struggling this term. There are so many things they have been working through but I know that one overarching theme is this looming transition they are facing. Thank you for praying for us. Pray also for families of the girls. Some will take a home-assignment to help their senior adjust while others will have to send them on their own. If you have ever sent a child to college, I think you can imagine the heart-ache they are facing!

3 of my girls were part of the very first girl's rugby team at Blackrock Tournament in Nairobi. 
 
I have had several people ask, so just want to let you know that as we approach July and the end of my time here in Kenya, if you are supporting me financially through AIM, you can continue to support me through December 2018 if you feel led. Because I have been on the field for 2.5yrs, AIM will allow me a 6-month home assignment to reconnect with supporters, family, and friends. It will be important to rest and readjust to culture and prepare for what the Lord has next. I will do a lot of traveling this summer to see friends and family and then be back Stateside by late August. Over the fall months I hope to travel around the US and see some of my RVA kids starting college as well as reconnect with many of you! If this job goes through that I mentioned earlier, I will need to look at housing and things like that this fall as well. I would appreciate prayers for me as I face this transition. I am so excited to be moving back to the States and will be so thankful to be near a lot of my family. I am excited for my girls and this next season of life they are facing. I know all these things, but thinking about saying the “see you laters” to my girls, my friends here, my home and the beauty of Kenya etc… that is the hard part!! It is starting to hit me pretty hard and I would appreciate prayers for leaving well and everything that entails.
 
Thank you for praying and please let me know how I can be praying for you.
Serving with you,
 Amy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment